Get up to speed on the latest news, stories and insights from CNO – from company announcements to a peek into the company culture to profiles of our team in action.
This year marks five years since CNO formally introduced the company’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) program known as “I am CNO.” Recently, more than 1,000 associates gathered virtually to celebrate this milestone.
Aaron Mapp, senior director, diversity equity and inclusion, reflected on the journey highlighting progress made, as well as key areas of focus for the future.
“It’s a process – we started with the question of who we want to be. We declared it with a statement “I am CNO,” said Mapp. “We listened to associate feedback, learned from consultants and best practices, created our strategy, and committed ourselves to being the best by adding DE&I as a company core value. And now, we are ready to fly.”
Our DE&I Highlights
Over the past five years, CNO has made steady progress in several key areas, including:
- Amplifying our associate voices through our business resource groups, including L.U.N.A. Latinos Unidos Network for Advancement BRG, PRISM LGBTQ+ BRG, Smart Organized United Leaders (S.O.U.L.) African American/Black BRG, Veterans and Families BRG, Women's BRG
- Making a commitment to the CEO Action for Racial Equity fellowship program and Indy Racial Equity Pledge
- Hosting 200 events by business resource groups
- Launching DE&I OnDemand online associate courses, job rotation and leadership programs
- Partnering with diverse professional organizations, such as the International Association of Black Actuaries and the Hiring Our Heroes Corporate Fellowship program
- Earning the Great Place to Work certification three consecutive years, a perfect score in Human Rights Campaign’s 2022 Corporate Equality Index, and for the third year in a row, recognized for our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) program by Forbes magazine.
Our DE&I Commitment
CNO’s DE&I commitment is centered around the following three priorities that drive its mission to create a workplace environment that welcomes all associates, encourages them to bring their best selves to work, and values the rich diversity of associate voices that represent the customers we serve.
- Recruitment & Selection – Hiring, developing, and retaining diverse talent that reflects the markets we serve.
- Associate Education & Awareness – Affirming equality for all individuals and committing to creating an environment of mutual acceptance, understanding, and respect.
- Associate Development – Cultivating an inclusive culture that leverages the diverse skills, ideas, and full capabilities of all associates.
The event also revealed the new I am CNO video, showcasing the diverse backgrounds, experiences and interests of our associates. https://youtu.be/4F3rJiAtfs8.
During the event, CNO also announced a new DE&I donation of $50,000 to The African American Alliance of CDFI CEOs. The Alliance supports Black and female CEO members, who systemically face racial and gender resource inequities that adversely impact their CDFIs and communities. Funds from CNO's donation will focus on supporting the Alliance's mission, including women's leadership programs, CDFI training initiatives, technology and operations, as well as the Alliance grant-making foundation. Additional details about CNO’s corporate DE&I donation can be found here.
Click here for more information on CNO’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.